Pages

Friday, May 1, 2015

Mandala Meditation .01

 No matter how busy life may get, I still find a moment within each day to notice and appreciate the tiny little things. Walking in nature is a form of therapy and I believe that everyone should have a subscription that includes a daily dose.  Unfortunately, for most people, finding a moment to walk in nature isn't as simple as stepping out of your back door. If such is this case for you, I promise that you can still find a moment of stillness and serenity if you have a tiny patch of grass or even a few weeds pushing through the cracks in the sidewalk. We are, after all, so much like those weeds that are striving to survive and thrive despite being covered by concrete. 

I love to just sit in one spot in the grass and see how many small things I can notice going on around me.  The way the blades of grass move in the breeze, the grasshopper enjoying a snack, tiny little ants busy working away... So much life in every little corner of this world! Lately, I've been roaming the land in search of tiny little things from nature that can be temporarily formed into a work of art... I gather flower petals, leaves, berries, seeds and the list goes on. Once I've gathered what feels like the right amount, I bring them to my sketchpad and begin to lay them out into a symmetrical pattern, a mandala. The entire process is meditative and gives me an opportunity to clear my mind, focus on my breath, absorb the therapeutic colors of each specimen chosen and lastly focus on the beautiful piece of art that will be swept back to the ground moments after being captured through the lens and visually admired till the pieces begin to wilt. 

I hope that you enjoy these nature mandalas as much as I do. 
To view more, follow me on Instagram: @therestingnomad
I will begin sharing a new mandala every Monday here on the blog as well. 

<3 span="">
 



 "To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palms of your hand and eternity in an hour." - William Blake

No comments:

Post a Comment