Friday, March 4, 2011

Sleeping with the light on...

 Since Tuesday, I have been sleeping with a light on in my room. Not only has the light been on, but I've also been hearing a noise throughout my sleep.  This may sound crazy, but it isn't. We have chicks, four Buff Orpingtons to be exact and I am crossing my fingers that all four will be hens. Landon bought them on his way home from work and surprised me when I returned home from work. We've never had chickens before, so this experience is completely new and quite adventurous to us.  I do not watch television, but I  imagine that watching the chicks is like watching television for others (those others being lazy Americans) because I can sit and watch them for thirty minutes with a smile on my face the entire time.  In case you are still left wondering why I sleep with a light on, it is because the light provides warmth to the chicks. And the noise that I'm hearing in my sleep is the wonderful chirping of those chicks.  Their sleep pattern is spontaneous, and it really isn't a pattern at all. They wonder around chirping, scratching and eating in unison and eventually one settles down and nods off to sleep. Once one has decided to sleep the others quickly follow and suddenly the box is silent. After about ten minutes or so one chick awakes and decides to eat again, upon awaking it chirps. Once it chirps, the other three chicks are awake and scratching too. This sleeping, waking and eating is an endless cycle that amazes me.  I'm surprised that the chicks have not entered my dreams yet with all of the chatter that goes on in the night. 








5 comments:

  1. Darling chicks and nice story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will LOVE having chickens!! :) Make sure you handle your chicks every day (what hardship, LOL) and keep handling them and hand-feeding them treats, and you'll have a very friendly bunch of hens.

    We kept our first chicks in our spare bedroom and I'd often have several of fall asleep on my lap when I sat in there with them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love having them! I've already noticed them getting bigger since Tuesday, and they are beginning to get more used to being held. My dog is the only one who isn't used to them being held, she is so curious and worrying, which I think is just her motherly instinct. She can't stand for the cats to watch them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been considering chickens, but we live in an urban environment and there are regulations against having livestock within city limits. Arrrgh, perhaps it is better to beg for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission. What do you think? Until then, I'll just have to enjoy your photographs!

    ReplyDelete